Important Cleaning Tips:
1. Always Test an Area First – Choose an inconspicuous spot to test before carrying out a full cleaning.
2. Act Quickly – Attacking a stain as soon as possible reduces the likelihood of it setting into the surface.
3. Work Up the Slope – Starting at the bottom of a sloped pavement allows cleaning fluids to drain down.
Paint & Mortar
• Fresh paint – Blot immediately with a rag or towel; do not wipe as this may spread paint. Soak the area and scrub with hot water and a stiff brush.
• Dried paint – Scrape any excess paint off of the surface. Apply a commercial paint remover and follow all instructions on the cleaner label. Do not rub the loosened paint into the surface.
• Mortar – Let material harden and carefully remove spots with a trowel, putty knife or chisel.
Dirt, Mildew & Grime
• Remove any loose material from the surface. Clean with Surebond SB-442 General Stain Remover, stiff brush and wash with a garden hose.
• For fresh stains with unabsorbed oil on the surface, pour down kitty litter or saw dust to soak up the stain. Clean up after a few days.
• Older oil stains can be complicated to remove completely but boiling water can help lift the stain. Blot area with absorbent cloth and repeat as needed.
Food, Grease and Beverages
• Apply liquid dish detergent at full strength and allow it to penetrate for 20 to 30 minutes. Scrub and rinse with hot water.
• For stubborn stains, use a professional cleaner like Surebond SB-442 General Stain Remover. Follow all instructions on cleaner label.
• For gum, scrape off any excess and scrub with naptha or mineral spirits. Rinse area thoroughly with hot water.
Efflorescence, Rust and Mineral Staining
• Efflorescence is whitening that occurs naturally as water evaporates out of and through building materials, bringing salts to the surface. It does not affect the structural integrity of the building materials.
• Efflorescence will naturally wear away over time and is most common in new installations.
• To remove efflorescence, as well as other mineral deposits like rust and hard water stains, use a professional cleaner like Surebond SB-488 Efflorescence & Rust Remover. Follow all instructions on cleaner label.
Stain Prevention and Pavement Maintenance
Weeds, Ants and Displaced Sand
• Bonding joint sand prevents it from being displaced from in between interlocking paving stones. Sand displacement is not only unsightly but also reduces the structural integrity of the hardscape system.
• Use a professional joint sand stabilizing sealer like Surebond SB-1300 Joint Stabilizing Sealer to bond the sand between joints. This will inhibit both ants and weed growth while preventing sand washout.
• Reapplications should be carried out every three to five years.
What Surfaces Should Be Sealed?
• Any surface that is at risk for staining can be protected with a surface seal application. This includes interlocking concrete pavers that are used in driveways, patios, pool decks, walkways and many other applications.
• Most types of poured, stamped, decorative and stained concretes can be protected, as well.
• Retaining walls and other vertical applications should be sealed, especially to prevent water penetration.
Surface Protection and Stain Resistance
• Using a professional surface sealer will protect the surface of a hardscape installation and reduce the threat of future staining.
• Salt and acid corrosion – Surebond SB-1300 Joint Stabilizing Sealer will protects the surface form salt and acid penetration.
• Water penetration and freeze/thaw damage – a professional sealer like Surebond SB-4000 Water Repelling Sealer will reduce the amount of water entering the installation. When frozen, this water can force stones out of place, and disrupt the entire installation.
• Oil, food and beverage staining – a penetrating sealer like Surebond SB-5000 Stainblocking Sealer will prevent a wide variety of stains from setting into the stone, making the stains much easier to remove.
About Surebond, Inc.
For over 25 years, Surebond, Inc. has manufactured joint stabilizers, sealers, cleaners and adhesives designed to compliment and protect the most demanding hardscape installations. Our full line of products has been trusted on projects throughout the world, including Disneyland, the US Capitol building, the Panama Canal, sports stadiums, ports, streets and thousands of homes.